Tuesday, March 06, 2012

NYC Thrift Store Find: Unique Boutique.

If the upper east side of Manhattan were a sunken ship well I am here to tell you that I found the treasure chest of jewels!!! Yesterday as I started walking towards 90th Street on the east side in route to Housing Works Thrift Shop I stumbled upon the most amazing and well priced vintage jewelry selection I have shopped since living in NYC at Unique Boutique. (Well besides a few booths at the Hells Kitchen Flea Market. But that only happens on Saturday and Sunday during the summers...so it technically doesn't count.)
Not only is this place less than a ten minute walk from my apartment but its so well priced. From the outside, it looks like one of those stores just filles with a bunch of junk people don't want. It may be when it comes to the apparel and shoes, but this is not the case when it comes to the home goods and accessories. If you stay focused on the shelves and jewelry cases towards the front of the store you'll see what I'm talking about.
As you can see from the pictures I took in the store you have to be willing to do a little digging, but I think thats half of the fun of thrift shopping. I was there for over an hour or so and found out that the nice guy who owns the store finds his jewels at an auction in New Jersey every few weeks.. so obviously I'll be popping back in on the reg. Jewelry was priced from $10-4. Earrings averaged at $5 and a nice brooch averaged about $8. Which is considered a bargain compared to other NYC thrift store prices. I purchased all the pieces pictured below for $70 total.
Besides some amazing costume jewelry, I found a few little glass plates and bowls priced at $2 and $4 each. I bought these for another DIY project I have in the works. There were also some cool ashtrays, teacup sets, vases and other little random and unique tabletop trinkets. Hence the name "Unique Boutique." Ha
Moral of the story is... If you're like me and obsessed with vintage jewels, like the thrill of the hunt and like to remake old things in your own new way,  you must make a visit to this store ASAP! I promise you won't be disappointed. I will post pics later in the week of me wearing some of the jewelry I remade from these pieces. Have a Thrifty Tuesday!
MY FINDS:
(All under $70 total.)

MY SNAPSHOTS OF UNIQUE BOUTIQUE:
(Located on the corner of 94rd St & 3rd Ave -- Directions here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment